Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Family Project, some cups, and a bowl!

To start off this post it would probably make sense to show the cups that i decided to keep from the last post.
These are the cups that i decided to keep. There are still some cups that i like more than others but mainly what i was trying to do was to test out some new ideas and see where they led me and i think it was pretty successful.
This is the largest bowl i have thrown so far and im very proud of how it turned out. I didnt get a picture of it after i trimmed the foot but here's a picture of what it looks like right after i threw it. I like the shape of the bowl and hopefully i can make more in the future! it was actually very easily to trim which was a surprise to me. It probably only took me ten minutes.

For my family project i decided to do something with pitchers. I'm not going to say the exact details about my project because to be honest i'm not 100% sure about what im doing, but i still have plenty of time because the greenware due date is still in about a week. I've thrown five pitchers and here are the three that i finnished yesterday.
Something that ive really been trying to work on is how my handles feel. On the last batch of mugs that i threw i noticed that the handles looked nice...but they were uncomfortable to hold. What is the point of a handle if its not "comfy". These handles are alot thicker than i am used to but i think that these pitchers turned out better than i expected. For some reason the cracks appear a million times better on umpqua than on deschutes white so thats something to consider. This was a very productive week and im very happy to have a successful start on my family project!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great Jack! I hope one of those bowls can sit on my lap one day while I munch on popcorn =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pitchers look good jack, I think you should reconsider the placement of the handle though. If you alter the profile of the pot to better facilitate a handle the handle will seem more a part of the pot and less of an afterthought. There is a good section on handles and pitchers handles in one of robin hoppers books that we have in amy's office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the same book, "Functional Pottery" there is a short section on the functionality of pitchers. Another resource is the pitcher made by Don Sprague sitting on the shelf in the classroom. Don spends a lot of time thinking about the size, shape, weight and ergonomics of his pitchers.

    ReplyDelete